Some people think cut flowers are an unnecessary purchase. I hear this statement a lot, “why do you like flowers so much? They are a waste and die in a few days”. Sort of true, but hey, they're gorgeous. If you follow our few easy tips I promise your flowers will last 3 - 4 days longer than the norm.
I have a love for all flowers. A few of my favorites are peonies, celosia, anemones and ranunculus.
While on a recent trip to Portland I stumbled upon the most amazing flower market. They have two locations, one in the Pearl District and the other on 23rd Street in NW Portland. It was torture going in there and not walking out with flowers. I think it would have been a little ridiculous showing up to our hotel with flowers. Maybe if we were staying longer than 3 days I would have pulled the trigger.
Sammy’s will make a bouquet for you or you can choose your favorites and build your own bouquet. It’s one of the few floral shops that sell their flowers by the stem and not by the bundle or bunch. It makes it nice when all you need is a small arrangement or a quick gift.
Sammy's has succulents too!
TIPS to Remember to keep your flowers lasting longer:
1. Trim the stems (at a 45 degree angle). I recommend trimming every time you get to Tip #2.
2. CHANGE YOUR WATER almost daily. You wouldn't drink brown water, so what makes you think a plant will thrive in brown water? Flowers need fresh water to drink. Eliminate bacteria and change it!
3. Feed your flowers - a little sugar or ginger ale in the water doesn’t hurt either (that's if you’ve run out of the floral packets).
4. NEVER let the foliage get in the water. i.e. Leaves. Take them off if they are submerged in water.
5. Remove any stems that begin to die from the bunch.
Find your nearest florist or market and grab a bundle of flowers. They will brighten up any room or office. Use these tips and I promise your flowers will last 3 - 4 days longer.