Let me preface this post by saying I absolutely enjoy any kind of sausage, bacon and of course chorizo for breakfast. It's rare that I’ll make a scramble or breakfast sandwich with out one of the fabulous three. This morning things went a little different. Fancy egg breakfast made sans meat and cheese.
This scramble is all vegetables with a side of vegetables. Now WAIT! Don't click off of this post just yet. I’m sure you want to after reading that … but you have to trust me on this one. The nuttiness of the Portobello and the crunch of the brussel sprouts just works! Cutting the Portobello into thick pieces tricks your brain into thinking its sausage. Well maybe not. But trust me just do it!
Here goes: (feel free to increase the recipe if you are feeding a crowd)
2 scrambled eggs — with “Slap ya Mama Seasoning” (any Cajun seasoning or seasoned salt will do)
Sliver of Butter Olive Oil Kosher Salt Cayenne Pepper for Heat Black Pepper 1/2 of a Large Portobello Mushroom 5-8 Brussel Sprouts Heirloom Tomatoes
1. Beat your eggs together with your favorite seasoning and let that sit to the side.
2. Put the butter and olive oil into the pan. Add the Brussel Sprouts and add a sprinkle of Kosher Salt and Black Pepper. Saute until the sprouts begin to soften.
3. Add the Portobello into the pan with the Brussel Sprouts until you see slight shrinkage. Saute the two for 2-4 minutes on low to medium.
4. When you are ready (depending on how crunchy or soft you want your brussel sprouts) add your eggs to the pan. Fold eggs into the mixture on a lowertemp so the eggs stay fluffy and do not burn. I repeat...cook eggs on a low temperature.
5. Slice your Heirloom Tomatoes and serve on the side. (You could also chop the tomato and add it directly to the scramble.) But, I like heirlooms on their own with a drizzle of olive oil and kosher salt and pepper.
This dish can also be made with out Eggs. Saute brussel sprouts with portobello for a decadent side dish.