I work from home, so I'm always searching for quick and easy lunch ideas. I've learned over the years to cook more than I need. I like to always have a healthy starch ready to go in the fridge. On Sundays, I usually cook a big pot of brown/wild rice, quinoa or pear barley! That way, I can use the rice during the week for different recipes. You can do the same with sweet potatoes! Cook 2 at the beginning of the week. Re-heat them for lunch or throw an egg on top.
Pear Barley Salad
- Chicken Jalapeño Sausage (from Whole Foods)
- Pear Barley
- Butternut Squash
- Yellow Pepper
- Red Pepper
- Red Onion
- Green Onion
- Salt / Pepper
- Garlic Salt
- Olive Oil
How To - Pearl Barley Salad:
- Follow the pearl barley instructions. Barley usually takes 45 - 50 minutes. Plan accordingly!
- Peel and chop your butternut squash into cubes. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until squash cubes are soft.
- In a sauté pan, cook your sausage all the way through. Slice and brown again. Remove the sausage from pan.
- In the same pan add red onion, bell peppers and sauté. If it's a bit dry, add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Saute for about 5 minutes or until onions turn translucent and peppers are a bit cooked. Add the sausage back in and mix together for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- When the barley is finished cooking, add the barley to a large bowl. In the same bowl, add the cooked butternut squash, onion, peppers and sausage mixture.
- Toss and season to your liking.
- For garnish and extra green. Add chopped flat leaf parsley and green onion. Toss again.
How To - Sweet Potato
- Cover sweet potato in foil. Depending on the size of the potato, cook for 45 minutes plus. When the sweet potato is soft, it's done!
Serve the pearl barley salad next to the sweet potato. I'm a huge fan of flaking/finishing salt!!! I added Jacobsen Flaking Sea Salt to the sweet potato. Bon Apetit!